Getting charged for a DUI or DWI can be scary and depressing for the first-timers as they might not know what to do after the arrest. To be very honest, it is irresponsible of anybody to drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both as they might not only be putting themselves in danger but also others if they are not alone in the car.
This poor decision might be fatal for the people inside the car and even for the ones walking on the road. However, here are a few things that you should do if you are charged with DWI or DUI.
Steps that need to be taken if charged with DWI or DUI
DWI and DUI are usually used interchangeably with each other and conviction and charge might be the same for both of these crimes. If you are a first-timer, here are a few things that you should be doing after being charged:
- If you are pulled over by the police on the road for suspicion of a DUI, you must not try to defend yourself by arguing with the person with authority. It won’t be good if you do not keep quiet and cooperate with the police. Do not try to argue with the police even if you are very heavily intoxicated. Simply be humble and do as the officer says.
- After being charged with a DUI, there is a high chance of your vehicle getting seized. The car will be towed to the police station at your expense. The police will let you know about the company that has towed your car and you should contact the towing company as soon as possible and pay the towing charges.
- You will be given a chance to contact a lawyer who can help you out with the case. After all the processes have been completed, contact a DUI lawyer or a DWI attorney as soon as possible if you are accused.
- You will have to face the judge in a trial if you are charged with DUI or DWI. The judge will be the one who will be writing down your sentence if you have to be convicted. You will get the opportunity to use your attorney or use the one appointed by the court for you to fight your cases. It is better to appoint your own DUI attorney in all cases.
- In case you are convicted in a DUI or DWI case, you will have to do some community services or court programs that will be given to you as part of your punishment. You should complete these services and programs as soon as possible so that the court can know that you are done with your sentence. Pay all the due fines and you will be free.
If you are charged with a DUI or DWI, do not try to lie about what had happened during the entire proceeding. It is better that you be honest at all times and consider the help of a DUI lawyer or DWI attorney.